Varsity Five to Play Dartmouth As Carnival Attraction Tonight

By John A. Rava

Harvard's varsity basketball team will have to play its best game of the year tonight if it is to avoid a sixth consecutive defeat.

For when the Crimson five takes the floor at 7 tonight at Hanover, it will not only be facing the defending league champions, but will also be playing before a highly partisan Winter Carnival crowd.

Dartmouth's athletic department makes a practice of inviting at least one Harvard team to its gala extravaganza. Last year the hockey team completely overpowered the Big Green. But the Carnival is supposed to be a time when all Dartmouth students can enjoy themselves, including the players. This year the schedule makers picked on the perennially weak Crimson quintet.

The Big Green boasts the tallest team on the varsity's schedule, averaging about 6-5 per man. It has started off in a rather mediocre manner in defense of its league crown, with only a 3 and 2 Ivy record, but is still in position to make a serious fight for the championship.

While the Crimson is not in the running for a league title, it also has much to gain by a win. Victory tonight would put the team back into a tie for fifth, and more important, would break a dis-heartening five game losing streak.

Coach Floyd Wilson will make one change in the starting lineup tonight. Bob Barnett will replace the ailing Dick Hurley at guard. Otherwise, center Ike Canty, forwards Dick Woolston and Munk Muncaster, and guard Bob Hastings will again start.