Shaplin Asks Cambridge Council 'To Bury Hatchet' for Schools

Cambridge School Committeeman Judson T. Shaplin '42, associate dean of the School of Education, angrily urged the city council last night to "bury the hatchet and do something for the city." Shaplin spoke at the Cambridge Civic Association's annual meeting, along with other CCA-sponsored members of the school committee and the city council.

Shaplin was "trembling with anger" as he denounced the school committee's "concentration on politics," evidenced by the hotly contested appointments made by the group last December. He told the city council members that if they had co-operated last year in electing a mayor they would have averted the present "disastrous" situation of the committee, now chairmaned by Mayor Edward J. Sullivan, who favors the appointments.

The dean's angry attack on the committee's action was countered by the calm justification of it by Anthony Galluccio, CCA-sponsored committeeman who favored the 17 appointments. Facing an antagonistic audience, Galluccio said, "I call my shots as I see them," and admitted that the CCA has "a good campaign issue" in the referendum against the appointments.

A solution to the school committee problem was good-humoredly proposed later by City Councilman Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29, who suggested that "all school committees should be abolished." Shaplin countered that he is heading a study of State school committees to try to improve, rather than abolish, the existing ones.