Trottenberg 'Troops' Begin Drive To Protect Yard Dormitory Walls

The Department of Buildings and Grounds declared war against freshman room decorators yesterday. "Our troops will remove all pictures improperly attached to the walls of Yard dormitories," said Arthur D. Trottenburg, manager of operating services.

A crew yesterday morning began the three-week job of enforcing the University regulation which states: "Occupants of the dormitories will refrain from driving nails, screws, and thumbtacks into the walls, and using scotch tape on the walls."

Notices will be left in rooms warning against rehanging the pictures and posers, and violators will be charged repairs "made in the most thorough manner." This could include repapering of walls to remove traces of even the slightest damage, according to student dormitory regulations.

Custodians were told of the campaign at a meeting yesterday morning. They will make follow-up inspections, and will report further violations.

Proctors learned of the drive at a recent meeting with the deans. Some reportedly objected to beginning enforcement of the widely-ignored regulation so late in the year. Several freshmen have commented that their proctors were among the most lavish users of wall decorations.

Trottenberg said that the project will not involve the Houses at this time, but would not say whether the department will attempt to enforce the regulation there when removal of pictures from freshman dormitory walls is completed.