Conant Chosen to Deliver 1957-58 Godkin Lectures

Subject Undecided

James B. Conant '14, President Emeritus of the University, has been selected to deliver the annual Godkin Lectures in Government for 1957-58.

He has not yet chosen the subject for the lectures which will probably be given in January of 1958.

Conant left the University in 1953 to become United States High Commissioner for West Germany. When U.S. occupation ended., he continued as U.S. Ambassador until his recent resignation.

While President of Harvard from 1933 to 1953, Conant took an active interest in governmental problems. He was instrumental in founding, in 1937, the Graduate School of Public Administration, which sponsors the Godkin Lectures.

During World War II, he served as Chairman of the National Defense Research Committee, and as advisor to General Leslie Groves on the "Manhattan Project" which produced the atomic bomb. After the war, he served on the General Advisory Committee to the Atomic Energy Commission, and as first Chairman of the National Science Foundation.

Conant served for more than ten years on the Educational Policies Commission of the National Education Association, and became its chairman in 1951. He also was a member of the Committee on Relations with the Federal Government of the American Council on Education.

The Godkin Lectures, established in 1903, honor the memory of Edwin L. Godkin, British-American journalist of the 19th century, who founded "The Nation" and edited the New York Evening Post. Recent Godkin Lecturers have been Hugh Gaitskill, John Lord O'Brian, Adlai E. Stevenson, John J. McCloy and U.S. Senators Paul Douglas of Illinois and Ralph Flanders of Vermont.