Ruggers Outplay MIT Squad, 16-3

The varsity rugby team gave M.I.T. a hint of what to expect on its trip to California next week, as it outplayed the Engineers by a 16-3 margin at Smith Field on Saturday.

The squad looked like the Crimson's best in some years as it dominated play for virtually the whole match, despite being a man short after ten minutes as a result of rugby's no substitution rule.

Ron Eikenberry scored the first of his two tries (rugby's td's) at the ten minute mark, on a sparkling soccer-dribble type play that saw Mike Reynal put out of the game with a leg injury. Jim Joslin kicked the conversion to make the score 5 to 0.

Eikenberry's second try was made just before half-time on a long run down the side-lines. Joslin missing the angled kick. (8-0). Scrum-half Alan Waddell and the strong Crimson forwards continued to give their backline possession of the ball on almost every play, and early in the second half Joslin cut through the center to score under the posts, converting easily. (13-0).

South African John Chalsty made a fine opportunist try five minutes later (16-0) but sloppy Crimson play enabled M.I.T. to score its only points exactly the same way, immediately after the ball was put back into play. (16-3).

The J.V.'s played a hard and fast game against the Engineers' second team in the curtain raiser, to earn a fair 0-0 tie.