University to Enlarge Student Parking Area

By George H. Watson

The University will enlarge the Business School parking area to include 150 more automobiles, Edward Reynolds '15, Administrative vice-President has announced.

With the expansion scheduled to begin this spring, the lot next fall will have a capacity of around 1,300 cars.

Reynolds explained that this was only one of a number of plans under consideration which would relieve the congestion of student parking, Faculty, and employee parking around the University. Last December, the Parking Development Company submitted a comprehensive study of parking problems which will form the basis for Administrative action.

So far, however, the Administration has not indicated that it will tackle the problems on any comprehensive scale, but will rather deal with specific issues on an ad hoc basis.

One of the more immediately realizable recommendations in the parking report called for a shuttle bus between the Business School lot and the House-Yard area. Reynolds has said the University is willing to inaugurate the service if students desire it.

If instituted, the bus would make a round trip about every ten minutes between the hours of 6 p.m. and 1 a.m.

Reynolds said that the cost of the service would be figured in the yearly rental for a space in the lot.

He stated, however, that the University wants to ascertain whether the students would use the bus before definite action is taken.

Since late last fall, the night parking situation for students has been somewhat improved because the University has not ticketed automobiles parked on streets overnight.