Saudi Arabia Backs Up Egyptian Position on Gulf of Aqaba Issue; Dulles Denies Promise to Israel

By The ASSOCIATED Press

CAIRO, March 18-President Nasser has pulled a diplomatic reverse play on the United States by letting Saudi Arabia carry the ball for the Arabs on the Aqaba Gulf issue.

Since Saudi Arabia has become a cornerstone of the Eisenhower doctrine in the Arab world, this makes it much more difficult for the United States to give Israel the support she demands for her shipping. Those who know King Saud say American pressure on the issue might change him from an influential friend of the United States to a bitter enemy.

Crown Prince Faisal, brother of King Saud, arrived today for talks with Nasser on action to keep the Israelis from using the Aqaba Gulf as a channel for high seas commerce. "We accept no bargaining on this point," he told newsmen. "We will fight every effort to decrease the Arabs' sovereignty over their territorial waters."

Secretary Offers Hope

WASHINGTON, March 18-Secretary of State Dulles was reported to have told senators today the United States has made no secret promises to support Israel's position in the Middle East.

Dulles was quoted as saying there were no commitments beyond the expression of "hopes and expectations" that Israel's withdrawal of military forces from the Gaza Strip would lead to that county's having free passage through the Gulf of Aqaba.