Squash Varsity to Face Favored Yale Team Here This Afternoon

Elis Boast Depth

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The varsity squash team, with no hope of retaining its Eastern Intercollegiate Squash Championship and with only a very narrow chance of tying for the Ivy League title, will face a powerful, undefeated Yale squad this afternoon in Henway Gymnasium at 2 p.m.

Yale, on the basis of comparative scores, will be a definite favorite. The Elis topped Navy, 5 to 4, and several weeks later the Middies defeated the Crimson, 8 to 1. Against Princeton, Yale romped to an easy 8-1 victory, after the Tigers had handed Harvard a solid 6-3 defeat.

However, the varsity will have the advantage of playing on its home courts, on which it has not lost for over two years, and according to coach Jack Barnaby, the team "is up for the big one and should give a good account of itself."

The main feature of Yale's lineup is its evenly balanced order and, consequently, its great depth. The gap in playing ability between its number one man, Charlie Kingsley and ninth , man Ash Eldridge is far smaller than that of any other Ivy team.

Kingsley was top man on last year's Yale freshman squad and lost in the Harvard-Yale freshman match to Charlie Hamm, fourth man on this year's Crimson varsity. At second singles for Yale is Harvey Sloane, who dropped the decisive match in last year's 5-4 H-Y varsity match to Lee Folger.

At fourth and fifth singles are two veteran Eli players, Captain Ed Meyer and Ron Ragen. Meyer bowed to the Crimson's Charlie MacVeagh last year, and Ragen defeated the varsity's, Martin Heckscher. At third singles is a newcomer to the varsity, junior Bill Barhite, and at sixth singles Yale will have another Eli junior, Bob McCoy, also a newcomer to varsity ranks.

Probably Yale's strongest point is its bottom three players. John Oettinger, Mait Jones and Ash Eldridge. These three were the second, third and fourth men on last year's undefeated Eli freshman team, and won their matches against the Crimson freshmen last winter.

For the varsity, Ben Heckscher will close out his Intercollegiate career at first singles, the position he has held ever since he came to the team three years ago. Heckscher has been undefeated over the past two years and should continue so tomorrow.

At second and third singles will be Cal Place and Larry Sears, both of whom have played consistently fine squash this year and who defeated their Eli opponents quite handily last year. At fourth singles the Crimson will play last year's Yardling squash captain, Charlie Hamm, and at fifth singles Charlie MacVeagh, winner over Ed Meyer at Yale last year, will round out the top five.

On this top five will ride the varsity's main hope of victory. If the Crimson is to win this one, at least four of this qurintet will have to win, and quite possibly five. At this point, the chances of this happening seem pretty good.

At sixth through ninth singles, the varsity will have Henry Cortesi, Pete Lund, Ed Wadsworth, and Bob Hartley. Of these four, Cortesi, will probably have a good chance to win from McCoy, but the other three will be very heavy underdogs, thus putting the question of victory or defeat pretty squarely up to the top five