College Groups Agree on Debate For Reorganized Political Forum

To Discuss U.N. Armed Force

A movement to revive the Political Forum survived its first and probably most critical test yesterday as representatives of five proposed member clubs agreed to tentative plans for the Forum's first program.

The merits and disadvantages of a permanent armed force for the United Nations will be the subject of the debate, scheduled for the last week in April.

Although five clubs were unrepresented at the meeting, Harold J. Goldfarb '57, president of the Harvard Liberal Union, expressed optimism about the possibilities for successful reorganization of the Forum.

Goldfarb, who is heading the move to revive the group, has stated that the purpose of the Forum would be to "provide an opportunity for members of the various political clubs at Harvard to exchange their views in open debate."

At last night's meeting a proposal that the Forum hold its debates this year without the benefit of "name" speakers met with unanimous agreement.

Norman William Smith, Jr. '58, president of the Young Republican Club, argued that the speeches of these well-known personalities would either abolish the value of the student debaters' talks or that their words would be endlessly repeated in later argument.

Last year intramural Club difficulties within the Forum over matters of representation resulted in the cancelling by Senators Bridges and Bricker of their scheduled speeches.

Representation of clubs in the Forum remains a difficulty for its sponsors, but this year for different reasons.

In opposition to Goldfarb's statement that "we should not be too concerned about the permanence of the group," Derek T. Winans '60, a delegate from the Harvard Young Democratic Club, urged permanent proportional representation. Winans stated that his plan would be to give the Forum "substance" and do away with its present ad hoc status. Smith also urged formalization, admitting that "we're lukewarm, waiting to see what develops."

Last year the president of the HYRC refused the support of his club, contending that its sovereignty would be submerged in the interests of the larger organization.

The representatives will meet next Wednesday to discuss further plans for the U.N. debate. Organizational problems of the Forum also should be resolved at that time, Goldfarb indicated.

The committee plans to invite the Harvard Freedom Council, a recently formed freshman group, to join in the Forum. if the organization chooses to join, it would probably replace the Pre-Law Society.