Hammarskjold Bound for Egypt To Arbitrate Middle East Crisis; Congress Committee Calls Beck

By The ASSOCIATED Press

CAIRO, March 20--Dag Hammarskjold, due in Cairo tomorrow on a new peace mission, probably will try to persuade both Egypt and Israel to proclaim nonbelligerency.

Fresh developments bearing on the crisis included:

The British Foreign Office termed Egypt's six-point memorandum on ground rules for the reopened Suez Canal disquieting in that it made no reference to six principles adopted by the U.N. last October as the basis for negotiations on the canal operations.

The United States reserved judgment, but said it expects "a satisfactory interim arrangement will be arrived at" during Hammarskjold's talks with top Egyptians.

Union Investigation

WASHINGTON, March 20--President Dave Beck of the Teamsters Union was ordered today to appear next Tuesday before Senate rackets investigators--and to bring his financial records for 1949 through 1955.

This key development, heralding events that could be spectacular, interrupted testimony of Frank W. Brewster, a vice president of the Teamsters and chairman of the union's Western Conference.

Among other things, Brewster told the special Senate committee investigating improper labor and industry activities he owes around $42,000 to George Newell of Seattle, who makes some $300,000 a year in brokerage fees on the union's health and welfare fund. The debt developed out of a racing stable partnership, now dissolved.

A.P. News in Brief

President Eisenhower and Prime Minister Macmillan last night opened their American-British partnership-mending conference with an informal "working dinner," in Tucker's Town, Bermuda. The two chiefs got into preliminary discussions over the table at their midocean club conference headquarters.

Railway union leaders rejected a government wage award yesterday and threatened to add another nation-wide strike to Britain's labor disputes in the shipbuilding and heavy machinery industries. The railroad strike threat developed 24 hours after 2 1/2 million factory workers received union orders to begin a "snowball" walkout next Saturday in manufacturing plants throughout the nation.

Communists yesterday won control of an Indian state legislature for the first time. It was the hardest jolt to Prime Minister Nehru's ruling Congress party since the country became independent. The Reds scored their victory in Kerala, a new state established last fall on the tropical Malabar coast of southern India. Kerala's 13 1/2 million people are crammed 800 to the square mile, and unemployment is a perennial problem.

Vice President Nixon ended his African goodwill tour in Tunis, Tunisia, yesterday, convinced American prestige is higher than he had anticipated in all the eight nations he visited during his 22-day trip.