Dunster Emphasizes Friendliness Without Becoming Overly 'Gung-Ho'

Rooms available in Dunster next year include: 36 doubles ($105-275 per man per half year); 17 triples ($150-235); 3 quads ($160-225).

When a photograph of the University appears in a publication, it usually shows a view of Dunster House from the other side of the Charles (above). For, with its entire frontal exposure overlooking the river and the Weeks Bridge, Dunster ranks as one of the the prettiest spots in the University.

Two-thirds of the rooms in the house are so placed that they take advantage of this location, and enjoy visible access to the vista. Dunster residents do travel a little farther, for their isolated sanctuary, but most of them feel the extra block of walking is well worth it.

Physical beauty does not constitute their only reason for this sentiment. House members are proud of the distinctive aspects of Dunster--its close relationship of tutors to students, its exceptional institutional food, and its pervasive friendly atmosphere.

The oft-stated rule "not more than two tutors at any one table" merely serves to symbolize the fraternity that exists between the tutorial staff and house members. Here, more than in other houses, the tutors can regularly be found joining in at bridge, going out for a snack or drink with a few boys, joking around at a small party, or most often, just sitting and discussing some subject of general interest in the common room.

All houses have common rooms, but Dunster's is an institution. Although in size the smallest, the Dunster common room always contains great numbers of students. After-dinner coffee is accompanied by two or three chess games, a group around the piano, a half dozen people reading papers and magazines, and the traditional arguments with tutors.

An added feature are the Wednesday night Forums, held bimonthly, with prominent representatives of various fields chatting informally. Among the speakers this year have been Mayor Sullivan, and Louis Lyons, while several professors are scheduled for talks later in the spring.

Friendliness has become the distinguishing characteristic of the House. Some cliques exist, but most disappear or are discouraged from forming. At Dunster it is not uncommon to know the name of one's next-door neighbor. That sort of thing is encouraged, in fact.

At times this atmosphere has been interpreted into a party or "gung ho" feeling. Such a sentiment is provoked in a few; for most, however, the cordiality is pleasant and the friendliness enjoyable.

An occasional cheer is still heard in the dining hall on a rare Saturday night, but the cheerleader now stands in danger of being alone. The periodic smokers have also lost the added zip they once possessed.

Dunster is not without its shortcomings, as even its most vehement booster would admit. In recent years the House composition has been overbalanced toward the sciences and social sciences, particularly government, with a corresponding scarcity of humanities concentrators.

Also, the extra-curricular emphasis in the House has tended toward the athletic at the expense of other fields. Four consecutive Straus Trophies were the result. A singing group, the Dunster Dunces, was the main exception, and is still the most colorful such group at the University.

This year great strides have been taken to redress these unbalances. A Dunster Music-Drama Society was formed, which will produce Gian Carlo Menotti's "The Medium" and "The Telephone." With the Ford Foundation grants, Dunster established two practical workshops, in drama and in visual arts. The workshops meet weekly, and occasionally have guest professionals for brief talks.

Like the other Houses, Dunster possesses an underground rest and play area, equipped with pool and ping pong tables, a television room, and eight squash courts. For entertainment of another type, the House offers sporadic smokers and popular dances. But its chief gift remains that of a convivial atmosphere.