Elder Denies Reduction in GSAS Tuition

Announces Fee for Graduate Applicants

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will not reduce tuition for students who take fewer courses in favor of independent study, Dean Elder announced yesterday. He also said that a five dollar application fee would be instituted next year.

Instead of signing up for specific subjects, qualified students will be able to register in terms of the length of time they plan to stay. For example, a person in GSAS taking two courses may list himself as a half-time student, and, under a new ruling, receive credit for one of the required two full years of residence.

Course reduction for independent study is subject to approval of the student's department of concentration. With permission, a student may reduce the number of half-courses required in his first two years from sixteen to eight.

Department Responsibility

Dean Elder emphasized that the intention of this program was to "throw back on the Departments the responsibility of guiding and evaluating their own students." This, he felt, would go far towards eliminating the automatic nature of the present setup.

The new program will be open for the first time to members of next year's entering class.

The number of applications for GSAS is running below last year's total, but Dean Elder felt that the important question was "whether you have as many good men." About 2000 students annually request admission. Of these, 1000 are accepted and only about 500 come.

The five dollar fee was instituted both to cover the costs of processing applications and to discourage "many frivolous candidates," Elder said. He did not know, however, the effect of the fee on more serious applicants. To estimate how many of those accepted next year will register, he said, would be "like picking a horse race."

The main disadvantage of an unexpected influx of students, Elder added, would be the burden placed on members of certain Departments.