Baseball Trip to Begin

Coach Norm Shepard was in a cheerful mood yesterday as he sent the Crimson nine through one of its last Briggs Cage drills before the vacation journey to the South.

The trip will give him his first good line on battery strength, and his pitchers and catchers are the big questions on this year's team. Of his hurlers, only Dom Repetto has had much past experience, and the other moundsmen wil have to come through if the team's veteran strength elsewhere is to bring a successful season. A replacement must also be found for last year's catcher, Bing Crosby.

Shepard was pleased with the development of the rest of the squad, and outlined his planned starters for the first of six spring games in the South. Captain John Simourian will play first, and sophomore George Harrington second. Last year's second baseman, Bob Cleary, has just reported for practice.

Bob Hastings will go at shortstop, with Tom Bergantino at third. John Getch and Matt Botsford will play two of the outfield positions, and either Dick Fisher or Walt Stahura the other. Repetto will probably pitch, with Phil Haughey the catcher.

The team will open at the University of Maryland on Monday, playing five more games in as many days. Twenty-two men will make the trip.