The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Ike Warns Against Severe Cuts In Planned $71.8 Billion Budget; Senate Probers Denounce Beck

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, March 27--President Eisenhower said today it is futile to talk about making "severe" cuts in his $71,800,000,000 budget.

It is futile, he said, if the United States is to maintain its position in the world and provide its citizens with programs "agreed to be necessary."

Eisenhower spoke out with vigor and sharpness, telling his news conference: "This budget was not only made carefully, it was made intelligently."

In earlier discussions of congressional maneuvers to whack into his spending plans, Eisenhower has been more restrained.

Uses Fifth Amendment

Washington, March 27--Teamster titan Dave Beck, a Fifth Amendment witness, wound up an initial appearance before Senate rackets probers today under scorching denunciation for "arrogant contempt."

Before senators talking of "theft" of union funds, the president of the powerful International Teamsters Union had repeatedly sought refuge behind the Fifth Amendment on all sorts of questions.

It might incriminate him, Beck declared, to say whether he borrowed $200,000 through two business firms to replenish the union treasury after federal income tax agents set out on his trail.

Beck also testified that he once voted to oust University of Washington professors who invoked the Fifth Amendment in refusing to answer questions about communism.

Troops Search for Gang

TEHRAN, Iran, March 27--The Shah ordered his imperial troops and the gendarmerie today to search day and night for an American woman and a murder-kidnap gang that carried her off in the southeastern desert.

The forces were reported closing in on the gang tonight.