Students Rap Oppenheimer Appointment

The first student protest against the appointment of J. Robert Oppenheimer '26 as William James Lecturer resulted yesterday in a 13 page letter and memorandum to Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr. '27, President of the Board of Overseers.

The letter, written for the Harvard Athenaeum by spokesman William C. Brady '57, was also signed by Frank R. Rossiter '59, president of the conservative debate organization, and A. LeRoy Ellison '58, a past president of the club.

Brady explained in the letter that the Athenaeum intended to sponsor a debate on the Oppenheimer appointment and requested information on "why and how" he was selected. In the memorandum, the group presented a lengthy statement of six "incidents" which the signers felt should disqualify Oppenheimer as the James lecturer.

Contacted last evening, Wyzanski said he had told the group that the Board of Overseers was not involved in the appointment and that any such inquiries should be made to the Corporation.

After talking to Wyzanski, Brady said that he will take the matter up with the Corporation, presumably through President Pusey.

The members of the Athenaeum met last evening to discuss ways of protesting the appointment, but Brady stated the only agreement was in repudiating any possible demonstrations, such as picketing.