When the Wind Blows and Six Strings Cut

At Agassiz

By Larry Hartmann

The New Theatre Workshop lived up to both its name and purpose yesterday afternoon when it presented two original one-act plays that showed real imagination, presented with a blending of brightness and inexperience.

When the Wind Blows, a family tragedy by George Staples, shows serious thought, solid dramatic potential, and a great debt to Long Day's Journey Into Night. Although the cast often does not reach potential depths of character, both Ed Walsh, as the younger son who revolts, and Yvonne Korshak, as the aging but eager aunt, bring excellent consistent emotion into earnestly wrought characterizations. After her beautifully timed hula dance during dinner, the high point of the play, the stage suffers from loose writing and looser pacing. Director Lumbard lacked the experience to build through to the end; his staging was often too static and hesitant.

The impact of the tragedy was diverted by the comedy that followed. In Six Strings Cut, author Wally Lawrence shows skill and a lighthearted touch, the delightfully amusing production owes much to Thomas Teal's alert direction; his comic inventiveness shows great promise. Lee Jeffries and Jim Stinson worked wonderfully together as Sally and Herby, two would-be-night-club performers competing for an audition in a wouldbe nightclub. Her flouncy ingenuousness and accessibility, and his energy and pleasant unscrupulousness created brilliant little scenes. The production as a whole displayed surprising polish and timing.

The Workshop succeeded admirably in presenting new theatre, and employing people new to the theatre.