Reider Breaks Two-Mile Mark

Junior Pete Reider finally smashed the University two-mile record which had eluded him for the past two years. By running a sparkling 9:21.8 in the IC4A meet at Madison Square Garden Saturday, Reider knocked 7.2 seconds off F. D. Murphy's record set in 1942.

Reider's fourth place finish to Ron Delany of Villanova, and Pete Harpel's fourth in the 35-pound weight were all the track team could garner, as Villanova completely dominated the meet, with Manhattan a distant second.

Since the two-mile was run in two heats, all the contestants were clocked, the winners being chosen on the basis of times. Therefore, even though Reider did not win the race, his time is official.

Phil Williams won his heat in the mile, but finished sixth in a crowded nine-man field in the final.

Joel Landau provided the pleasant surprise of the meet, as he finished sixth in the hurdles, only a step out of the scoring. He had previously won his first heat, his quarterfinal heat, and finished third in the first semifinal. In the second, he came in a step behind Bob Mairs of Rhode Island.

Henry Wente in the broad jump continued his superlative progress as he cleared 22 feet, just missing the finals. The mile relay team of Sandy Dodge, Bill Morris, Jim Cairns, and Dick Wharton made the finals, but had to scratch, when Cairns, who had just run the 600 and the 1000, became ill. Neither he nor Dick Wharton qualified in either.

Harpel wrested fourth place from Ken Bantum of NYU, when on his last toss, he threw 54 feet, 10 inches to snap a dead-lock at 52 feet, 11 3/4 inches