House Quintets, Hockey Teams Meet

Hockey

Eliot won the House basketball championship last night by beating Dunster, 38-36, in the last few seconds. Led by Jim Joslin with 24 points, Eliot needed four time-outs in the last minute to protect its slim lead.

Dunster started quickly, and was ahead 11-4 before Eliot scored its first field goal, a left-handed hook by Joslin. With Bob Leet, John Rockefeller and Joslin dominating the backboards, Eliot put on a concerted attack to lead 14-12 at the half.

Set shots by Bob Treisman, who scored 15 points, and some timely jump shots by Artie Kopit, who scored 11, kept Dunster consistently within a point of Eliot, but Joslin's second-half scoring spree of 16 points matched their efforts and opened a four-point gap which a late Dunster rally could not overcome.

Winthrop Routs Lowell

In other Class A games, Dudley forfeited to Leverett and Winthrop routed Lowell in the second half to pile up a 55-53 victory. Lowell scored only three baskets in the second half, all by center Daev Ross.

Although Winthrop took more shots than the Bellboys in the first half, Lowell stressed possession and moved the ball well. They shot so little, in fact, that they seemed to be instituting an early freeze. Their cautious tactics brought them within three points of Winthrop at the half. The Puritans then switched from a loose zone defense to a close man-to-man, and Lowell lost the ball when it attempted to pass.

Top scorer for the winners was sophomore Ron Johanson with 16 points, followed by Alex Christ with nine. Both Bob Hofsis and Bill Parmley played good games under the boards.

Kirkland Beats Adams

The Kirkland "B" team ran up a lopsided score against Adams, winning 57-26. This game was never even a contest, Kirkland got off to an early advantage, ran up a 10-point lead by the half, and increased it rapidly in the second half as Adams lapsed into some careless ball-handling.

Al Goldman scored 12 points for the Deacons, with both Fred Anderson and Morris Fine helping him on the attack, Joe Boyd, with eight points, was high man for the losers.

Winthrop "B" Team Tops Lowell

Withrop also beat Lowell in Class "B" basketball, 40-26. Lowell was handicapped by both lack of height and a small turnout, whereas Winthrop substituted freely. Winthrop missed quite a few shots in the first half, and led 17-13 at the midway mark.

In the latter half, however, the Bellboys began to tire and high scorer Peter Banks strated to make his jump shot more often. Bank's 12 points, Neil Muncaster's six, and Bill Cowin's rebounding all contributed heavily to the Winthrop victory. Dave Sailor was high man for the losers with ten points.

Dunster "B" Team Wins

In contrast to the Eliot-Dunster "A" game, the Funsters' "B" team beat Eliot in a game marked by very few personal fouls. This was the result of a set-shooting duel between the two teams, as both hit well from the outside and did not drive in for layups.

Dunster made a greater percentage of its shots, and came out on the long end of a 34-25 score. Larry Pillsbury sparked the Elephants with a 14-point performance, and Jerry Davis led the Dunster scoring with 10.

In the "A" league, Kirkland meets Adams this afternoon at 2 p.m. in the I.A.B. The league winner will take on Yale at New Haven Saturday.

In the evenings first hockey contest at Watson Rink, Dunster House narrowly defeated Dudley, 3-2. Paul Doherty, Howard Dodge, and Don McNeil scored for the winners, while John Dobbyn and Ken De Carolis tallied for Dudley.

Leverett Routs Adams

In the second game Leverett met Adams quite handily, 4 to 0, behind the stalwart goal-tending of Roger Corke. Ed Galvin scored twice, John Coolidge once, and Eric Franck once while Dick MacKinnon and Dave Albertson each made two assists.

Eliot Shuts Out Kirkland

Next, Eliot provided a mild surprise by shutting out Kirkland, 2-0. The Deacons, generally conceded to be in third place, were heavy pre-game favorites but Eliot dominated the game from the opening minutes.

Both the Elephant goals came in the first period. Mike Adair got one while the winners were a man shy due to an early penalty and Bob Bradford registered the other a short time later.

Kirkland's attack began to function more smoothly in the later stages of the contest, but Eliot goalie Landon Evarts managed to turn aside everything aimed his way.

Lowell, Winthrop Tie

The evening's final game pitted Lowell House against Winthrop. The two teams stood well ahead of the rest and the contest might have gone far towards deciding the eventual championship of the league.

Winthrop started strong, and it was not long before Louis Newell put the Puritans in front, 1-0. This lead stood up for a full period, until Eddie Harding scored for the Bellboys.

Larry Flood sent Winthrop back into the lead briefly, but David Dearborn soon tied it up once more for Lowell. Dearborn scored again shortly thereafter following a scramble in front of the Winthrop cage, but Newell matched this a moment later. The remaining minutes produced much furious play, but no further goals and the game ended in a 3-3 deadlock.

Four more games are scheduled for Thursday. Winthrop will meet Kirkland, Dudley will face Adams, Eliot plays Dunster, and Leverett faces off against Lowell. Four more games are scheduled for Monday, and the league winner will meet Yale at Watson on March 16.