Senate Resolution Warns Russia Against Middle East Aggression; Dulles Urges Egypt to Open Canal

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, March 5--The Senate adopted overwhelmingly tonight a resolution serving notice on Russia the United States will fight, if necessary, to help halt Communist aggression in the Middle East. The vote was 72-19.

Passage of President Eisenhower's Middle East resolution came at the close of more than two weeks of debate on the proposal which:

Pledges the United States to use its military forces if the President deems it necessary to help any Middle East nation which asks U.S. help in resisting overt armed agression by the Reds.

Dulles Exhorts Egypt

WASHINGTON, March 5--Secretary of State Dulles called on Egypt today to stop "dragging its feet" and get the Suez Canal cleared and open--now that Israel is scheduling immediate withdrawal of its troops from Egyptian territory.

Dulles declared the strategic waterway could be opened in ten days.

Drought Relief Proposed

WASHINGTON, March 5--The Eisenhower administration proposed today that states be required to pay at least 25 per cent of the costs of drought and other farm disaster relief programs.

The proposal was advanced in a special message from President Eisenhower to Congress and an accompanying report from Secretary of Agriculture Benson.

Benson said only that "state contributions to date have been very small in relation to federal expenditures."