Republican House Leaders Back Summerfield Request for Funds; Senators Deny Civil Rights Dea

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, April 9--Republican House leaders agreed today to back Post master General Summerfield's request for an extra 47 million dollars to maintain full postal services through June 30.

But Rep. Cannon (D-Mo.) told the House "don't be alarmed, don't be stampeded by Summerfield's demands. Cannon is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

"It's not going to destroy the republic," Cannon said in a floor speech, if the postmaster general carries out his threat to curtail mail services drastically for the balance of the fiscal year.

Republicans Deny Deal

WASHINGTON, April 9--Republican congressional leaders said today they have no "deal" with Southern Democrats to delay action on civil rights legislation for another year. Sen. Eastland (D-Miss.) agreed there is no such arrangement.

Senate GOP leader Knowland (Calif.) and House Republican chief Martin (Mass.) told newsmen there was nothing to such reports--that, in fact, they look for early action in both the Senate and House on Eisenhower's civil rights program.

Hungary Expels U.S. Attache

BUDAPEST, Hungary, April 9--The Hungarian government gave an expulsion notice with a 48-hour time limit today to Capt. Thomas R. Gleason, U.S. assistant military attache, as the result of a picture-taking incident.

The U.S. legation denied the Communist government's charge that Capt. Gleason had been guilty of "open espionage." A legation spokesman said the charges were "largely inaccurate" and did not constitute espionage under international usage.