Lacrosse Squads Will Play Today

The varsity lacrosse team will face an array of former college stars when it opens its season this afternoon at 3 p.m. against the Boston Lacrosse Club on Soldiers Field.

But despite the apparently imposing qualifications of the team's opponents, coach Bruce Munro expects that it will be an extremely close game. The Crimson squad scrimmaged the Club team several weeks ago and was defeated by a very narrow margin.

"We are a much improved team, particularly defensively, since our return from the recent southern trip," says Munro. He admits, however, that "our scoring punch is notably lacking." The varsity lost four games and tied one during the trip.

The probable starting lineup for the Crimson will include captain Mac Hyde, Jim Gale and Tim Draper at midfield; John Baldwin, Tom Crump and Jim Herscot on defense; and Jerry Cotter, Mike Shaw and Dick Pille on attack. Dick Mackin-non will play in the goal.

Munro considers the Boston Lacrosse Club game "almost an alumni game," because so many of the members of the Club squad at one time played for the Crimson team.

The freshman lacrosse squad will also open its campaign today as the Yardlings meet a highly regarded Deerfield team away. Coach Robert Pickett was optimistic, but admitted that "we are difinitely underdogs."

The team has had only a week of heavy practice and scrimmaging, he noted, and they will be facing a team which has been playing together as a unit in the past.

Pickett announced as starters Tom Day at goal, John Righter, Nick Lamont, and Dave Sweet on attack, Norm Rockefeller, Dick Parks, and John Gould as midfielders, and Dain Trafton, John von Stade, and Ed Tarlov on defense.

The next contest for the freshmen in their 11-game schedule will be against M.I.T. next Thursday.