Freshman Track Team Defeats Andover, 90 1/2-35 1/2, in First Meet; Deerfield Tops Lacrosse Squad

In their first outdoor meet of the season Saturday the freshman track team easily swamped an Andover squad which earlier in the season had almost defeated the Yardlings on an indoor track.

Captain Art Cahn, who won the 880, pointed to the new men on the squad in explaining the very noticeable improvement in the team's performance. The final score of the meet was 90 1/2 to 35 1/2, in contrast to a much more difficult victory over the prep school team in February, 60 to 48.

Pat Liles, with victories in the 100-yard dash, the 220, and the broad jump turned in one of his finest performances of the season. The team showed great depth as the Yardlings were able to score sweeps in three events--the mile, broad jump, and high jump.

Hammer Throw--Bailey (A), 165 ft., 4 in.; Javelin Throw--Press (H), 165 ft., 11 in.; 120-yard Hurdles--Downs (H), 15.6 sec.; 100-yard dash--Liles (H), 10.2 sec.; Mile Run--Martin (H), 4:32.4; 440-yard Run--Hildreth (H), 52.2 sec.; 220-yard low Hurdles--Downs (H), 25.7 sec.; 220-yard dash--Liles, 22.3 sec.; Discus Throw--Digman (A), 123 ft., 9 in.; 880-yard Run--Cahn (H), 2.05; Pole Vault--Halaby (H), 11 ft., 6 in.; Broad Jump--Liles (H), 21 ft., 2 in.; High Jump--Kean (H), H--5 ft., 8 in.

Lacrosse Team Bows

The Yardling lacrosse team also opened its season Saturday, bowling to a highly-polished Deerfield Academy squad, 8 to 6.

The freshmen suffered from inexperience in team play, missing many scoring opportunities despite control of the ball through most of the game.

Phil Hudner came off the bench early in the contest to score four goals in the losing cause. Norm Rockefeller and Dick Parks also contributed one goal apiece to close out the Yardling scoring.

Deerfield capitalized on several scoring chances as the Yardling defensemen allowed their rivals to filter through for comparatively unmolested shots at the Crimson goal.

The team's next game is against M.I.T. here, on Thursday, and Andover will face the Yardlings on Saturday.