Crimson JV Whips Westover AFB Nine, 14 to 1, on 16 Hits

Blasting out 16 hits, including home runs by Kent Hathaway and Frank Saia, the JV baseball team easily defeated the Westover Air Force Base nine yesterday.

Defensively the Crimson was also impressive, with pitchers Byron Johnson and Bill Prescott limiting the Airmen to only seven hits and one unearned run. Johnson, who pitched the first five innings, allowed only four hits while striking out two and walking none. Prescott was only slightly less effective in the last four innings, giving up three hits and two walks for one unearned run.

Only two men reached second base while Johnson was pitching.

Saia's home run came in the first inning after Lee Cole singled and Levon Kasarjian doubled. The JV got four more runs in the third on doubles by Hathaway and Saia and singles by Kasarjian and Banks.

The Crimson picked up three runs on five singles in the fourth and another on Hathaway's home run in the sixth. Hathaway's blast was a hard line drive far over the rightfielder's head. Jim Shue's triple, a walk, and a single by pitcher Prescott brought in the final two runs in the eighth. In all, Westover used five pitchers in a vain attempt to stop the Crimson.