University Makes Garrels, Gleason Full Professors

Robert M. Garrels, associate professor of Geology, and Andrew M. Gleason, associate professor of Mathematics, have received promotions to professorships in their respective departments, Dean Bundy announced yesterday.

Their appointments will become effective July 1.

Garrels, who has been a member of the University faculty since 1955, previously headed the Solid State Group of the U.S. Geological Survey. He recently analyzed the movement of uranium deposits in the earth, and he is currently studying thermodynamic relations in geology.

Before coming to the University, Garrels served on the faculty of Northwestern University, where he had received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. He holds the S.B. cum laude from the University of Michigan.

Garrels is co-author of a forthcoming text, "Basic Science," an introduction to physical science.

In 1952, Gleason ended a 50-year mathematical search with his solution of "Hilbert's Fifth Problem," which won him the Newcomb Cleveland Prize for an "outstanding contribution to science."

He joined the University faculty in 1950, after receiving a BS. degree from Yale in 1942, and continuing his research as a Junior Fellow of Harvard's Society of Fellows from 1946 to 1950.

Gleason served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and again during the Korean Conflict.