Crimson Tennis Squad Upsets Strong Presbyterian Team, 6-3

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

An inspired varsity tennis team refused to yield an inch, either to Presbyterian College's reputation or to its players, and, producing some of the finest tennis seen at Harvard in many years, pulled the seemingly impossible feat of defeating Presbyterian, 6 to 3.

It would be impossible to say that any one player was the individual "star" of the match, for more than anything else, this was a team victory. Probably the most masterful display of tennis craftsmanship was put on by little Steve Gottlieb in the second singles position.

He defeated Harvey Jackson 6-2, 6-0, to give the Crimson its first win of the day. Gottlieb seemed incapable of making an error. Hard, deep drives harassed Jackson with amazing consistency, and the Presbyterian player's first mistake during a rally was generally his last.

At first singles, Dale Junta established himself firmly as one of the very best college players in the East by overpowering John Brownlow, Presbyterian's highly-touted number one man, 6-1, 4-6, 6-2. Junta's big weaknesses were his netapproaches off the backhand side, and his backhand in general was not up to the rest of his often brilliant game. Brownlow, however, could not cope with the control and power of Junta's big game.

Larry Sears, playing his first varsity test of any consequence, came through at third singles in fine style to topple Guise Potter, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4. Potter, a few weeks previous, had defeated Miami's highly ranked Dave Harum, in Presbyterian's 5-4 upset of the Hurricanes. After losing the first set, Sears contented himself with keeping the ball in play and deep, and when he got the shot he wanted, hit for the winner.

In spite of these three performances, the match was won by the doubles teams, as the Crimson swept all three matches in this area. The Junta-Sears team survived some shaky moments to edge Brownlow and Harry Hoffman, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4. They were ahead 5 to 2 in the final set; but Hoffman held service to make it 5 to 3, and Junta dropped his powerful delivery to put the count at 5 to 4.

At this point, the Crimson team stiffened to break Brownlow's delivery. With the score 30-40 against him, Brownlow sent his second serve off the tape into the alley, giving the varsity a 4-3 lead in the team match.

The outcome of the day's play now hung on the Heckscher-Place and the Gottlieb-Gianetti teams, both of which were caught up in one-set-all matches. The tension lasted for a very brief time, however, as, almost simultaneously, these two teams finished their matches victoriously. The Crimson had effected one of the biggest upsets in recent memory.

This afternoon the Crimson will face Amherst