Full 'Cliffe Membership In Organizations Seen

Leighton to Confer With Annex Deans

By George H. Watson

Dean Leighton said yesterday that reconsideration was in order of the long-standing rule which prohibits Radcliffe students from full-fledged membership in Harvard organizations.

At present, Annex students are permitted to associate, but not hold office, in University organizations.

Leighton pointed out that Radcliffe had already made a tentative move for revision through a report of Emily B. Lacey, Dean of Residence. "The present situation is a temporary one, and now that the first move has come from Dean Lacey, the policy should be reconsidered," Leighton said.

In her last annual report to the President of Radcliffe, Miss Lacey said:

"Time to Review Thinking"

"The growth of the dramatic organizations also points up another problem, that of the nature of joint Harvard-Radcliffe organizations. At the moment, most of the groups are chartered as a Radcliffe club and a Harvard club, when in fact they perform as one organization. It is, I believe, again time to review our thinking on this matter and to discuss with the deans at Harvard the possibility and wisdom of having truly joint activities."

It is understood that Radcliffe originally proposed the ruling in an effort to keep its organizations from losing their identity in Harvard groups.

In practice, however, the regulation has not kept Annex students from associating with University organizations, and many groups have ceased to exist as independent organizations.

Opponents of proposed changes argue, nevertheless, that Radcliffe should do nothing to further even closer associations between groups, but should attempt to maintain separate groups.