Sixth Fleet Approaches Jordan To Aid Threatened Government; U.N. Chief Defines Suez Policy

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, April 25--The United States 6th Fleet steamed to the eastern Mediterranean today in what officials described as a show of force intended to support the threatened government of Jordan.

That description was supplied in private. Publicly, the State Department merely announced that the fleet was returning to its "normal place." But is said international communism" threatens Jordan's independence.

These two moves--one a fixing of blame, the other a flexing of muscles--had the appearance of the Eisenhower Middle East formula going into action.

Suez Question

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y., April 25--U.N. Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold registered Egypt's new declaration on Suez Canal operations as an "international engagement" today.

He told a news conference it was binding on Egypt as long as it lasts but could be revoked by Egypt at any time or replaced by another declaration or an international agreement.

The document says Egypt will run the canal, collect all tolls, grant freedom of navigation "within the limits" of the 1888 Constantinople Convention on that subject, and be guided in disputes by arbitration or the World Court. The U.N. Security Council will discuss the document tomorrow.

Ike Checks Oil

WASHINGTON, April 25--President Eisenhower acted today to find out whether mounting oil imports are threatening the national security and whether mandatory curbs are necessary.

He announced in Augusta,Ga., that an immediate investigation would be made of the national defense angles of the situation.