11 Student Groups Favor Full 'Cliffe Membership

Furthers Individual Study

By Martha E. Miller

The presidents of 11 undergraduate organizations at the University and Radcliffe urged yesterday that the Administration revoke its ruling which prohibits Annex students from full membership in Harvard extra-curricular activities. Last week Dean Leighton said that reconsideration of the long-standing rule was in order.

David E. Green '58, president of the Harvard Dramatic Club, said that the present set-up is "very unfair to the Radcliffe girls." He explained if an organization were to abide strictly by the University regulations, no Radcliffe members could vote or hold office.

His sentiments were echoes by Victor N. Claman '58, president of the Harvard Gilbert and Sullivan Players, which has elected a Radcliffe student as secretary.

Claman explained that the new group was unaware of the ruling and submitted its list of its Harvard and Radcliffe members and officers to the dean's office. They have received no rebuke from University authorities, Claman said.

The heads of the Phillips Brooks House associations of both colleges said they see no objection to revising the rule, although they indicated that any change in the PBH organizational structure should come through a gradual integration.

Although Norman W. Smith, Jr. '58, president of the Harvard Young Republicans, favored merger with Radcliffe, the Radcliffe group's head, Ellen FitzPatrick '59, said she would prefer that separate organizations be maintained.

The presidents of both the Harvard and the Radcliffe Young Democrats asserted that their activities could be improved by integrating the two groups.

Presidents of WHRB, Radio Radcliffe, and an editor of the Radcliffe News also said that the change would be desirable, but doubted that their organizations would be significantly affected.