Twin Sisters Arrested After Fight at Leverett

University, Cambridge Policemen Injured During Encounter

By Howard L. White and Walter E. Wilson

Twin 18 year-old sisters, students at the School of Boston Museum of Fine Arts, were booked yesterday on charges of assault and battery after a mid-day fight with policemen in the Leverett House Junior Common Room.

A crowd gathered as Cambridge and University police attempted to subdue Gloria and Maria Klemm. Later taken to Cambridge City Hospital, they were reported by hospital officials to be "under the influence of a stimulant other than alcohol."

The Boston Daily Record reported that the police had begun an investigation to find out whether the two girls were victims of "a drug ring operating among college students."

Leverett House Superintendent William P. Hinton said that he first saw the girls just inside F-entry, and that one of them appeared to be about to faint. He assisted them across DeWolfe Street to the Common Room, located in C-entry.

Hinton gave the ill girl a glass of water and called Allston Burr Senior Tutor Richard T. Gill, who was unable to find out the girls indentities or what they were doing in the House. University police, who had come at Gill's request to aid the sick girl, found the two uncooperative.

Cambridge Police Called In

Cambridge police arrived to assist the University police in removing the girls, who suddenly became violent. When finally subdued they were brought out to a waiting wagon, one with hands cuffed behind her back the other trussed in a Common Room carpet. Their faces were bloody from the struggle.

The girls, both 1955 Silver Skates champions, inflicted numerous injuries on officers. Cambridge patrolman Frank Foster was kicked in the groin, and bitten on the hand and back, while University patrolman George Burrows was knocked down and bitten on the knee.

Had Dated Harvard Students

During questioning at Police Headquarters, the girls claimed they had been loking for Harvard students they had previously dated. After the questioning, police took them to East Cambridge District Court, but because of their condition, they could not be arraigned, and were taken in seperate ambulances to Cam- bridge City Hospital.

The twins will probably be arraigned this morning. In addition to the city's assault and battery charges, the girls face possible prosecution for trespassing on University property if the administration decides to press charges