Three Divinity School Teachers To Occupy New Professorships

Horton, Adams, Lehmann Named

Three of the University's most distinguished theologians will occupy newly created Divinity School professorships as of July first.

Douglas Horton, professor of Theology and Dean of the Divinity School, will become the John Lord O'Brian Professor of Divinity. This chair was created in honor of the Washington lawyer who led the recent drive to strengthen the Divinity School.

James Luther Adams, professor of Christian Ethics, will become the Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Professor of Divinity, a chair which honors the great manufacturing chemist who was mainly responsible for the University's chemical laboratories.

The last of the three new chairs, the Florence Corliss Lamont Professorship of Divinity, will be occupied by Paul Lehmann, Parkman Professor of Theology. The Parkman Professorship, which was created in 1829 and is one of the University's oldest professorial chairs, will be filled by John Dillenberger, associate professor of Theology.

Dean McGeorge Bundy announced last week that five authorities in the fields of anthropology and social relations attain the rank of full professor as of July first.

Hallam L. Movius '30, Curator of Paleolithic Archeology in the Peabody Museum, has been one of the country's foremost authorities on the Stone Age man, through his explorations in Ireland, France, Central Europe and Burma.

Joining Movius as professor of Archeology will be Douglas L. Oliver. Oliver is an expert on the peoples of southeast Asia and the Western Pacific.

Three professors of Social Relations were also appointed, Alex Inkeles, R. Freed Bales, and Richard L. Solomon. Inkeles is a student of the Soviet social system and its communications network.

Bales pioneered recearch in the behavior of small groups, throwing light on the functioning of committees, gun crews and work teams. Solomon has made important studies of the learning processes in both animals and man.