Dean Lacey Will Request Joint Activities Review

To Consider 'Cliffe Membership

By Martha E. Miller

Miss Emily D. Lacey, Radcliffe dean of residence, yesterday confirmed that she plans to request a reconsideration of the University ruling which prohibits Annex students from full membership in Harvard organizations, but declined to say whether she will take action on the issue during the current school year.

She said that there is "no immediate crisis" for a change in the relation, pointing out that "no organization is beating at our door to demand joint ownership."

Miss Lacey explained that in the absence of strong student opinion on the issue the Administration feels that "there is no immediate reason for jumping right in and doing something." However, she reasserted that the question of extending membership rights to Radcliffe merits "careful consideration," a statement which she made in her most recent annual report.

The suggestion was includede in the report, the dean explained, simply as a "reflection of current trends." In particular, the report cited the recent growth of dramatic organizations. Miss Lacey pointed out that most of these groups perform as a single organization, although they must be chartered as a Radcliffe club and a Harvard club.

Miss Lacey emphasized that the problem of Radcliffe participation in Harvard undergraduate activities is not a now issue, but one which has arisen periodically during the past ten years. When the question came to the attention of the College in 1947, Radcliffe undergraduates were not especially responsive to the idea of joint activities, the dean said.

At yesterday afternoon's meeting of the Radcliffe Student Council, Susan Olsen '58, president of the Student Government Association, suggested that the controversy be aired at next fall's Cedar Hill conference, a semi-annual meeting of Annex student leaders and Administration.

Miss Olsen declined to say whether or not she would favor merger of Harvard and Radcliffe organizations, but merely indicated that "there are good cases on either side which will have to be considered carefully."

Earlier in the week, Larry R. Johnson '58, president of the Harvard Student Council, stated that a repeal of the prohibitory regulation "would be an improvement, more in keeping with the fact of the matter."