New Committee Will Aid Foreign Students In Orientation Week

A new undergraduate committee met this week to plan an orientation program for foreign students entering the University or Radcliffe next fall. The plan was instigated by the Harvard and Radcliffe United Nations Councils and the Harvard International Activities Committee of the Student Council (HIACOM).

The program purports to aid foreign students in adjusting to the University community and to increase their opportunities for meeting American students, rather than associating primarily with other foreign students, as the committee feels they have tended to do in the past.

The group will ask for undergraduate and graduate student volunteers to write letters to incoming foreign students during the summer and to act as welcoming committees on their arrival in the United States.

The Crimson Key Society will co-operate with the orientation program by arranging special tours of the campus for the 300 foreign students expected to arrive in Cambridge in September.

HIACOM will arrange contacts with University students and Cambridge residents who wish to invite foreign students to their homes for meals and holidays.