Varsity Track Team Picked to 'Upset' Yale

Yale will pit its greater depth against the varsity track team's brilliance Saturday in an attempt to become the first favored team to defeat the highly competitive Crimson this season. The meet will begin at 1:30 p.m. at Yale's DeWitt Cuyler Field.

On paper, Yale figures to eke out a win of from two to ten points. Actually, the Crimson possess an intangible something which propels it to its regular weekly upset wins.

Key event in the meet are the dashes, the hurdles, and the discus. Joel Landau meets Dick Fisk and Keith Moore in the hurdles, both do-or-die races for the varsity. Sandy Dodge, who last week ran a 9.8 to tie the Harvard 100-yard dash record, is favored over Yale's John Halpern, but Halpern has the edge in the 220. Dodge and Dick Wharton could place second and third.

The discus is a toss-up between Tony Gianelly and Neil Muncaster and Yale's Dick Winterbauer and Bill Stack.

Pete Reider, whose 4:11 last Saturday makes him one of the top milers in the East, is favored in both the mile and the two-mile, while Phil Williams should take second in the mile, and Dyke Benjamin second in the two-mile. In the hammer, Pete Harpel, and John DuMoulin, currently rated first and third in the nation, should take first and second.

Yale is expected to place first and second in both the broad jump and the pole vault.

Outside of the high jump, where John deKiewiet is a heavy favorite, with Yale placing two-three, and the relay, in which Yale has nearly four seconds better than the varsity, the other events are toss-ups. Best chance for a Crimson win is in the 440, where Wharton has done .8 seconds better than Yale's Bob Skerritt, but either Ed Holohan or John Pendexter should give Yale the third place.

Yale's John Slowik is slightly favored over Jim Cairns on the basis of comparative times, with French Anderson fighting Eli Ev Hedeen for third. The javelin is strictly a toss-up between the varsity's Carl Pescosolido and Yale's Curt Coker. Pete Briggs gives the Crimson a good chance for third.

In the shot, Winterbauer rates ahead of Both Jim Doty and Yale's Dick Hunt.

Freshman Meet

When the Yardlings meet the Yale freshmen at the same time as the varsity meet, another contest similar to the indoor meet, which Yale won, 591/2 to 571/6, is expected.

The Bulpups have the edge in the dashes, the hurdles, and the shotput, while the freshmen are favored in the high jump, pole vault, hammer, and the mile.