New Commuter Center To Include Residents

Eighteen Dudley Students Will Live in Apley, Wigglesworth This Fall as Test of Project

By Kenneth Auchincloss

Living quarters for 20 to 40 students will probably be provided in the projected new non-resident House, Charles P. Whitlock, senior tutor of Dudley House, revealed yesterday.

As part of an experiment to test this project, 10 officially non-resident students will live in Wigglesworth next year. Eight more will live in Apley Court, giving a total of 18 on the resident commuters plan.

Ten Dudley students, selected out of a group of about 40 applicants, are currently living in Apley. One of the Apley suites will be converted into a tutorial room this fall, and resident tutors will be provided in both Apley and Wigglesworth.

Whitlock has instituted this "resident non-resident" system in an attempt to make it possible for commuters to take an active part in some House or college organization and still maintain their affiliation with Dudley. In previous years, Dudley seniors engaged in some outside activity have tended to enter one of the other Houses in order to be able to spend more time at the University.

Under the new system Whitlock hopes, such students will stay in Dudley and the House will "keep its men with leadership qualities and its internal stability."

The Dudley men in Wigglesworth next year will pay the regular resident student rental rates for their rooms, but will not be enrolled in the University board plan. They may take their meals at home, says Whitlock, or may buy them at Dudley or one of the other college dining halls.

The Wigglesworth-Apley experiment is intended, according to Whitlock, "to see how many residencies we can handle." The suites in the new non-resident House, it is hoped, will be available for part-time occupancy, enabling students to live at the University for only one term, which would be impossible if they enter one of the present Houses.

The projected non-resident House, intended to replace Dudley, will be built on University-owned property on the corner of Mt. Auburn and Plympton Streets, now part of the garden adjoining the Fly Club.