Britain Resumes Suez Shipping On Egypt's Terms; Announces Easements of Financial Squeeze

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LONDON, May 13--Prime Minister Macmillan today grudgingly acknowledged Egyptian President Nasser as boss for the moment of the Suez Canal. He told British ships to resume sailing through it on Egypt's terms.

Eight Conservative members of Parliament immediately quit the government party as a protest against what they regarded as a surrender to Nasser. They said appeasement of any kind "leads only to disaster."

At the same time Macmillan set out to put British relations with Egypt back on a businesslike basis. He announced slight easements of Britain's financial squeeze on Egypt and disclosed the two countries soon will begin discussing a dollars-and-cents accounting.

Teamsters Investigation

WASHINGTON, May 13--The Senate Rackets Committee received evidence today that Dave Beck's relatives and friends made a profit of $180,000 selling toy trucks and other merchandise to the Teamsters Union.

There also was testimony from Roy Fruehauf, a Detroit trailer manufacturer, that his company provided an automobile and chauffeur to haul Beck's niece and three girl friends around Europe last summer.

Proposal for Mid-East

WASHINGTON, May 13--Sen. Flanders (R-Vt.) today presented to the Senate a program designed to ease the Middle Eastern situation.

He said the administration has provided a doctrine for the area but that it "needs more than this. It needs a program ... based on the long-range self-interest of governments, races and particularly the peoples of the area.

"Only on the basis of such long-range self-interest," Flanders said, "is there any hope of constructive solutions."

Russia Urged to Allow Travel

WASHINGTON, May 13--The United States prodded Russia again today to lift the veil of secrecy which bars 30 per cent of the Soviet Union from travel by foreigners.

The gesture was made in a formal note of protest handed the Soviet Foreign Ministry in Moscow by the U.S. Embassy there.

A.P. News in Brief

The British government warned yesterday that Russia now has "the biggest submarine fleet the world has ever known."

Shocked residents of Lampasas, Texas counted three dead and five million dollars damage yesterday from a ten-foot wall of water that crashed through a broken levee into this central Texas town last night.