Attempt to Form Summer Drama Group Given Up

Failure to Gain Theatre Cited as Major Reason

Plans for a local repertory company to replace the defunct Cambridge Drama Festival have failed to materialize, Bryant Haliday '49, spokesman for the group, stated last night.

Haliday explained that the group of undergraduates and graduates which had hoped to produce six plays this summer has been unable to find a theatre in Cambridge.

For the past week negotiations have been carried on for the Pi Eta Theatre or the Hasty Pudding stage, but neither house can be secured, Haliday said.

The Hasty Pudding will rewire its stage this summer, and the Pi Eta Theatre was unable to work out details involving its tax status with the dramatic group.

Earlier this year the Cambridge Drama Festival announced that it would not continue its summer productions in Sanders Theatre because of technical and administrative problems with the University.

At that time there was speculation on the possibility of a group of students, active in Cambridge dramatics, producing an amateur series of plays during the Summer School. The failure of present plans, however, make it extremely unlikely that any sort of drama festival will be held in Cambridge this summer.

Haliday said last night that there was a long-range possibility that next summer a tent could be erected, possibly on the banks of the Charles, to house a drama festival.