Crimson Ties B.C., 0-0

By Richard T. Cooper

After five quick innings yesterday afternoon the Crimson baseball team had yielded two hits, two walks, and no runs to Boston College. It had collected a single hit, six walks, and no runs. Then the rain closed in.

Five innings, however, constitute a legal game, and the tie will be officially entered in the record books. This result, indecisive as it was, enabled the Crimson to clinch its third consecutive Greater Boston League title.

Dom Repetto gave up base hits in the first and second. The first of five strike-outs, plus a neat double play from Bob Hastings to Bobbie Cleary to John Simourian closed out the first inning.

Repetto opened the second by walking right fielder Burnie Teliszewski. Minutes later, catcher Phil Haughey thwarted Teliszewski's attempted steal of second base with a fine throw to Cleary. A fly-out followed. Then Mike Piecewics got a single. Another strikeout left the B.C. runner stranded.

The Crimson will fly to Philadelphia today, where Bob McGinnis will pitch against a Quaker squad that has failed to win in two EIBL games.

The local pitcher put them away in order in the third, then got himself into mild trouble in the fourth inning. He walked the first batter, who was subse-quently retired at second on a fielder's choice. But when the third batter laid a soft grounder on the first base side of the mound Repetto cut it off and his throw to second went wild, advancing runners to second and third.

Repetto solved his own problem, however. When the next batter hit to the same spot he again dove for the ball, rolling over several times, but as he went over he flipped the ball to Simourian at first. When the next batter grounded to third, the inning was over. B.C. did not get a man on base again.

While the varsity was on more successful than the Eagles at bringing in runs, B.C. pitcher George Giersch was in serious trouble several times, notably in the last innings.

With two away in the fourth, Matt Botsford got the Crimson's only hit, a long double into centerfield. A pair of walks loaded the bases, but the inning was over when Tom Bergantino's long fly to right field was caught