Hungarian Revolutionary to Enter Kirkland House Under New Grant

'I Hate Yale'

By Richard N. Levy

A 19 1/2-year-old participant in last November's Hungarian Revolution has been chosen by a faculty committee to live in Kirkland House next year as the recipient of a full scholarship endorsed recently by an anonymous donor. It is assumed that he will also be approved by the Admissions Committee.

The refugee is Charles Fenyvesi, who was approved yesterday as the second Hungarian to enter Kirkland by a committee of faculty members connected with the House. He traveled to Cambridge early this week for an interview with the group. He was chosen over several other applicants for his "intelligence, quickness, command of the language, and command of himself," Carl Kaysen, associate profesor of Economics, and chairman of the interviewing committee, said last night.

Fenyvesi left Hungary in December after he had participated in the anti-Communist People's Guard, which helped to maintain order in Budapest during the Revolution. "I looked very warlike," he remarked, during his visit here.

He had attended the University of Debrecen as a freshman for two months before the revolution broke out.

He was captured by the Russians on November 4, imprisoned for a day and, because there was not enough room or food in the prison, was later released. He left the country and arrived in the U.S. on December 22. The collapse of the Revolution was "a sad story," he remarked, "more than sad--the end of the world, really."

Fenyvesi in now living in Washington, D.C., working for a printing firm which is presently mimeographing Dave Beck's testimony before the Senate Subcommittee on Investigations. "Dave Beck is a racketeer," Fenyvesi said angrily.

Although he spent only one day at the University, it "was enough for me to feel some sense of Harvard," he said. He has learned "to hate Yale, to like Adlai Stevenson and the Democrats, to hate the Lampoon and to like the CRIMSON--I learn very quickly."