Tennis Varsity Tops Penn for 18th Victory, 5-1, in Away Contest

The varsity tennis team had to play only two-thirds of a match yesterday to gain its eighteenth win of the year. Rain halted the Crimson's contest with Penn after the six singles had been completed, and since Harvard had won five of the six, enough to sew up the match, play was halted and the contest will be regarded as official.

The Crimson players, after their plane-trip to Philadelphia, found some strong opposition in most of the singles matches. At first singles, Dale Junta was able to eke out a victory only after he had dropped the second set to John Manger and had played a long, tough final set. Junta's final score was 6-4, 3-6, 9-7.

At second singles, Steve Gottlieb, after winning the first set handily, ran into trouble in the second, eventually winning, 6-1, 8-6. Larry Sears had a tough match with Bob Robbins at third singles, but won in two sets, 6-4, 7-5. The quickest win of the day was engineered by Ben Heckscher at fourth singles, where he handily defeated Howie Friedel, 6-2, 6-1.

Neither Cal Place nor Phil Mills could make the trip, and captain Ian Gianetti and Ned Weld filled in for them at fifth and sixth singles respectively. Gianetti lost the Crimson's only match, bowing to Jerry Fiernerman, 6-3, 6-1, and Weld took a long three-setter from Axel Johnson, 6-8, 6-4, 6-3, to complete the varsity's victory.