Visual Arts Proposals Win Faculty Approval

By George H. Watson

The Faculty approved on Tuesday the Committee on Educational Policy's recommendations which emanated from the controversial Visual Arts Committee Report of last year.

The CEP proposals call for the establishment of a Faculty Committee on the Practice of Visual Arts to propose courses in the field and "to encourage student activity." This committee will also recommend appointments in the Practice of the Visual Arts, including the Director of any new center.

The Faculty also accepted recommendations for closer co-operation between the various parts of the University connected with visual arts and approved proposals for construction of a theatre and a center for Visual Arts.

The Faculty at the same meeting established a standing Faculty commitee to deal with the problems or recruiting increasing numbers of teachers, based on the report of the Committee on Teaching.

The 41-page Report, prepared by a special committee chaired by Oscar Handlin, professor of History, called for a standing committee in order to make available information on the "prospects, opportunities and problems" of the teaching profession.

No Channels for Advice

The Report pointed out that at present there is no recognized place in the University to which an undergraduate interested in graduate work here or elsewhere can go for advice.

Moreover, the standing committee will be designed "to make the system of placement and referral more efficient" for graduate students.

The Faculty meeting also passed two proposals from the Dean of Students relating to student regulations.

One of these permits a student on probation to continue to hold a scholarship if approved by a special vote of the Admissions and Scholarship Committee.

The other change permits seniors preparing for general examinations to take as few as two half-courses in the spring term, provided the 16 1/2 credits necessary for graduation are covered.