Poll Investigates Basis of Attacks On Intellectuals

The Laboratory of Social Relations is conducting a poll of the faculty on anti-intellectualism.

Questionnaires have been sent out to 190 faculty members who have tenure. The professors are being asked to define the attributes of an intellectual, and to state which qualities--if any--of intellectuals might provoke attack upon them.

A spokesman for the Social Relations Laboratory said that this is an effort to evaluate the role now held by the intellectual in present American society, and to understand the thinking behind such investigations as that of the Reese Committee.

The Reese Committee, he stated, investigated tax-exempt foundations and concluded that "left-wing social scientists" were behind many activities which the committee considered subversive.

Response to the questionnaire will be anonymous, for each person is asked to state whether he considers himself an intellectual. The poll also requests an opinion on the comparative intellectual qualities of such men as President Eisen-hower and Adlai E. Stevenson.