Tigers Pose Threat to Oarsmen In Compton Cup Race Tomorrow

Five Crews Entered

By James W. B. benkard

Last Saturday the first boat of the varsity proved its worth by nosing out a strong Syracuse crew. Tomorrow this same Crimson eight has a chance to establish itself as one of the top in the East. To do this it must defeat a highly-rated Princeton crew on the Charles River tomorrow evening.

The race, which starts at 6 p.m., includes five crews: Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, B.U., and M.I.T. They are contending for the Compton Cup, won last year by the Tigers. While there is a chance that one of the latter three crews may pose a threat, the race should boil down to a two-boat affair between Princeton and the Crimson.

Varsity coach Harvey Love has planned no changes in his first two boats, but the illness of the varsity's Ted McCagg and the JV's Stew Hussey may force him to do so. If these two cannot start, Love plans to move sophomore Jim McClennan from the JV's up to McCagg's no. 5 seat in the first boat.

Statistics Favor Tigers

Love's comment on tomorrow's race was, "No matter how you look at it, Princeton is the crew to beat." This year's statistics, which is all the varsity has to go on, would certainly seem to bear him out. The Tigers have had two races; in the first, they lost by a scant foot to a strong Navy eight. Last week they beat Penn, another of the better crews in the East.

Princeton's time against Navy was a fine 8:45, three seconds faster than the Crimson's clocking against Syracuse. However, time comparisons are of limited value, as weather and rowing conditions often vary.

The JV heavies will race the same four colleges at 5:30; here, too, Princeton should prove the strongest opposition. The Yardling heavies, who rowed a remarkable 8:53 last week to record the best time of any freshman eight, should be clear-cut favorites in their race at 5 p.m. tomorrow afternoon.

The varsity lightweights, described by coach Joe Brown as "potentially one of the best Harvard crews ever," will travel to Dartmouth tomorrow along with the JV's, the third lights, and the two freshman boats. The Crimson has an excellent chance of sweeping all five races.