Princeton Defeats Tennis Team, 9-0

The Crimson tennis team, after compiling an excellent 16-0 record this year and running out a victory skein of twenty straight matches fell victim once again to the Princeton Jinx which has hounded the Crimson for many years.

The Tigers humbled Jack Barnaby's team, 9 to 0, Saturday at Princeton, after the varsity had whipped Columbia, 9-0, the previous day.

In the light of comparative team scores this was hardly to be expected. Harvard had downed Presbyterian College, 6 to 3, after that same Presbyterian squad had beaten the Tigers by the same score.

Princeton completely dominated the play, and made it quite apparent that they were the better team. Number one man Dale Junta lost to Jim Farrin, 5-7, 8-6, 6-4; Steve Gottlieb bowed with surprising rapidity to John McLean at second singles; and in the third position, Larry Sears lost to Dave Breckner, 6-0, 5-7, 6-4. This reversal of form from the Crimson's previous matches, where these three had been consistent winners, seemed to pave the way for a complete Princeton rout.

Ben Heckscher was smothered, 6-1, 6-0 by Jeff Arnold at fourth singles, and Rudy Ruddick easily defeated Cal Place, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, in the fifth singles spot. At sixth singles, Dave Sofield, who last year defeated Brooks Harris at the number two position in the Harvard-Princeton match, ran through Phil Mills, 6-0, 6-2.

The top three doubles combines all lost in two sets. Farrin-Sofield defeated Junta-Sears, 6-3, 10-8; Arnold-Ruddick downed Heckscher-Place, 6-1, 6-4; and Brechner-McLean topped Gianetti-Gottlieb, 9-7, 6-4.

The remaining singles, which finished out the 15-match, Big Three contest, went in much the same direction, with only Ned Weld and the doubles team of Weld and Laurie Pratt being able to salvage wins for the Crimson, making the larger match score read 13 to 2.