Golf Squad Will Meet Undefeated Eli Team In Match at Dedham

By Alan H. Grossman

The Elis are "the paramount power in Eastern golf," says Crimson coach Cooney Weiland. The Yale powerhouse hasn't lost a match with the Harvard golfers for two decades. But, Weiland would add, the Crimson has a good chance of winning today, when they meet Yale at the Dedham Golf Course.

Weiland points out that the Crimson team is strong in depth and potential, and has shown a steady--in some ways remarkable--improvement through the season.

The season records seem to make Yale's superiority all too obvious. With six times out this year, they remain undefeated. The Elis capped their record on Saturday by trouncing a strong Princeton squad, five to two. The Crimson record, far less impressive, stands at an even split--five wins and five losses. The golfers were handed a shutout licking from the Tiger squad.

The big match today will come when Crimson number one man Tom Wheeling takes to the fairway against Yale's Bob Nisselson. The Yale captain is a former Bermuda Amateur Champion and last year won the individual Eastern Championships at Cornell.

The Crimson lineup for today is: Wheeling, Ornstein, Bailey, Klein, Driggs, Steinert, and Iliff. In addition to captain Nisselson, Yale will field seniors Hal Cotter and Tony Delude, juniors Franz Dolp and Tony McCuulough, and sophomores Bob Wilford and John Suisman