Varsity Tennis Team To Play Dartmouth Squad Here Today

With an astonishing 9-0 shellacking at the hands of the Princeton tennis team behind it, the Crimson varsity plays host to Dartmouth this afternoon on the Soldiers Field Courts.

The Indians have only one top-flight player, Dick Hoehn, son of the Dartmouth coach, and it is unlikely that he will be able to handle the Crimson's Dale Junta at the first singles spot. The rest of the matches should be fairly routine, although Dartmouth has shown strength in several of its matches.

With the hopes of Eastern, Ivy, and Big Three championships almost gone, the varsity will attempt to ride through the rest of the season without a loss, and hope that Princeton drops a match someplace along the line. The sailing will be clear until next Thursday when the varsity meets a powerful Yale squad in its final meet of the year. Only Dartmouth, weak Cornell and Penn remain before this final test of the season.

Princeton 'Close'

The Princeton match, though lost by a wide 13-2 margin, was actually a rather close contest. Seven matches went to three sets, and all of them were won by Princeton. As Jack Barnaby puts it, "We were expecting to beat Princeton pretty handily, but actually if we were to beat them it would have had to have been in the gruelling Presbyterian fashion."

The outcome was the reverse of last year's Princeton match, in which the Crimson won the three-set matches. According to Barnaby, the Tigers were "just as good as we were and were very 'up.'"'