'Quality' in Education

The generation of students which came to college in the 1950's has been called "silent," perhaps with some justification. But if it was silent, it was also serious, and nowhere was seriousness more evident than in post-war attitudes toward education.

The War itself was doubtless the primary reason that the student of the 50's could not return to raccoon-coated stereotypes. But there are other factors which make the post-war student different--increasing academic pressure caused by rising applications; the difficulty of securing admission to graduate schools; and the competitive bidding carried on by science and industry for top graduates. These are only the more obvious forces which compelled students toward a more serious concern with academic life, although it might be argued that the concern was more pre-professional in nature than academic per se.

Whatever his motivation, the student today has expressed himself, perhaps not very effectively, on educational questions previously reserved for faculty meetings and academic associations. At the University during the past year, for example, groups as divergent as the campus politicoes and the literary avantgarde have concerned themselves with weighty issues of educational policy. Moreover, student concern has coincided with an evident willingness on the part of the Faculty to re-examine traditional methods in favor of such innovations as independent study, course reduction, and a general questioning of the course-grade system.

With these things in mind the CRIMSON has undertaken this year in its annual Commencement Supplement to report on some of the more crucial areas under discussion, and, in some cases, to offer suggestions and criticisms. The opinions expressed in the various articles are, however, those of the writers and not necessarily editorial policy of the paper.

It seems particularly relevant to publish this sort of supplement at this time. The Program for Harvard College has announced an $82.5 million fund drive, which, if it reaches its goal, promises to provide well for the quantitative needs to the College. The Program is a bold venture, indeed a unique one, in American higher education. But complementary to the program for physical improvement, there must be an equally imaginative approach to the University's qualitative problems. Unfortunately, quantity comes easier than quality in education, and the problems of quality which face the University today are issues on which all--Faculty, alumni, and students--should express themselves.