Try-Outs Scheduled For 'The Gondoliers'

Try-outs for the Harvard Gilbert and Sullivan Players' production of "The Gondoliers" will be held tonight and tomorrow night from 7:30 to 10 in Phillips Brooks House, Victor N. Claman '58, President of the Players, announced yesterday. Try-outs will continue Monday and Tuesday nights until the staff is completed, Claman said.

With some openings remaining among the principal roles and numerous vacancies in the chorus, Clamans emphasized that the group needs individuals who can sing and also act, as well as those whose talents are chiefly musical.

Further, Claman said, artists, technical and publicity workers, prop, costume and general production staff will also be recruited. Although previous experience is desired, Claman noted, it should not be considered necessary.

"The Gondoliers" is scheduled to open in Sanders Theater Monday, July 29, and continue through Saturday, August 3. Included in the cast will be many of the performers who have been active in the organization since it was chartered by the University in February, 1956, for the sole purpose of presenting Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, Claman said. The group's last three productions were "Rudigore", "Iolanthe", and "Patience."

This is the first year, Claman pointed out, that the players have operated in connection with the Summer School.

Already cast for "The Gondoliers" are Arthur S. Waldstein as the Duke of Plaza-Toro, Elizabeth Kalkhurst as Gianetta, Jo Linch as Tessa, Alison Keith as the Duchess of Plaza-Toro, and George Brown as Marco.

Veterans

With the exceptions of Brown, and Misses Kalkhurst and Linch, all have participated in previous Players productions according to Claman. Brown had the lead in the "Tree on the Plain". Miss Kalkhurst has sung Gilbert and Sullivan with the Provincetown Players, and Miss Linch "proved herself an excellent singer in Menotti's 'Medium'," he added.

Claman will produce his third show in "The Gondoliers". Chester Hartman, who directed the music for "Iolanthe", will also also be Music Director of the coming production. Stage Director will be Joan Mickelson, who held that position for "Patience" and who was choreographer for "Iolanthe." Martin Faigel will again be the accompanist.