Cole Will Lecture on Scopes Trial; Strasberg to Discuss Actor's Role

The courtroom and the theatre are the subjects of two lectures which will be sponsored today by the Summer School.

This afternoon, Fay-Cooper Cole, professor of Anthropology, emeritus, at the University of Chicago, will speak on "The Dayton Trial," with which he was connected.

This is sometimes known as the Scopes Trial after the Dayton, Tennessee high school teacher who was prosecuted by the state for teaching Darwin's "Origin of the Species" instead of the traditional biblical belief in biology.

Scopes, whose trial has been dramatzed into the Broadway hit "Inherit the Wind," was defended by the noted trial lawyer Clarence Darrow. William Jennings Bryan, in his last public appearance, was the state's prosecutor.

Cole's lecture is the first in the Afternoon Lecture Series at Lamont Forum Room, on Thursdays, at 3 p.m.

Lee Strasberg, who has gained recent fame as director of the Actor's Studio, will speak at 8:30 tonight on "The Actor in the Theatre," at the New Lecture Hall. Other talks in the Drama Lecture Series will discuss the position of the director and the playwright in the theatre.

Tyrone Guthrie, director of the Old Vic and the Royal Ballet, will speak on August 1, on "The Director in the Theatre." A Summer School professor, Denis Johnston, professor of English at Mount Holyake College during the year, will discuss the playwright, one week later, on August 8.