Educators Confer On Problems of Population Rise

The increasing world population presents "responsibility, opportunity, a rich and encouraging challenge" to educators whose facilities are only half as big as necessary, Herold C. Hunt, Charles William Eliot Professor of Education, said at the opening session of the Annual Conference on Educational Administration Monday afternoon.

Hunt, addressing himself to the specific topic of "National Issues" in a conference whose general theme was "Current Issues and Their Educational Implications," called attention to the percentage of illiteracy in the growing world as one of the "opportunities inherent in the coming century."

Noting the problems of increased leisure time, Hunt called on education to "promote world understanding, national unity, and the strengthening of moral and spiritual values."

In the second of Tuesday morning's sessions, Burton Fowler, Consultant to the Fund for the Advancement of Education, struck a similar note when he discussed "The Human Side of Education."

He rapped what he termed the frequent conflict between the mechanics of education and education itself, pointing to buildings so mechanically perfect that "nothing is left for the children to create."

Fowler called for education which "glorifies values and ideals," saying that "the gifted pupil is a giving pupil."

Frederick O. Raubinger, New Jersey Commissioner of Education, foresaw a "difficult period for the next decade" with special problems arising from the mobility of population and of teaching personnel.

Other educational leaders discussed special experiments which have been conducted to stretch existing facilities and personnel.