Recommended Movies...

Touch of Evil and Cry Terror (at the University Theatre Sunday through Tuesday). This is one of the finest suspense double-bills to come along in years. Orson Welles is one of the most imaginative geniuses in the theatrical world today; in Touch, aided by Charlton Heston, he uses his unflagging gifts to produce a masterful film. In Cry, James Mason and Rod Steiger try to outwit each other, with climactic scenes in an elevator shaft and a subway tunnel.

Bridge on the River Kwai (at the Capri). Deserved winner of 7 Academy Awards, with consummate performances by Alec Guinness and Sessue Hayakawa, and fine assists from Jack Hawkins and the cameraman.

The Young Lions (at the Gary). Marlon Brando is a superb Nazi officer in this tale of World War II.

Oklahoma! and Carousel (at the Mayflower). A double-bill of two Rodgers & Hammerstein masterpieces, the first excellent and the second fair in its translation to the screen.

Desire Under the Elms (at the Capitol in Somerville). Burl Ives misses, but Sophia Loren and Tony Perkins preserve O'Neill's incest and infanticide faithfully.

The Naked Night (at the Brattle next Tues. and Wed.). Famed Swedish director Ingmar Bergman's nightmarish story of a traveling circus.